OH THe frustration

Yet another frustration with the new house. So I had talked a few months ago to some different companies about doing our basement floor in the new house. There was one guy who came first actually and Brian was not there to talk to him. I told Brian after we talked to several that he was not actually the cheapest, but he seemed to really know his stuff. He also was willing to come back and talk to Brian to explain how the process worked. Brian agreed with me. This guy seemed to know what he was doing and his reviews all were pretty good. 

Rewind a little so I can tell you why we needed someone to work on our basement floor. The people who owned the house before us had glued down the foam backed carpet onto the concrete. This made a huge mess when we pulled it up and the foam would not scrape off, wash off or stop tracking the foam pieces all over the house when someone walked on it. That is why we decided since the concrete needed to be ground anyway it wasn’t a ton more to get epoxy put on it. 

Fast forward a few weeks. Brian had agreed with me about him and we gave him the downpayment to get us on his books to get the basement done. We picked out a flecked marble. He was going to start Wednesday, then called and said Thursday. Well that then changed to Saturday and not super early. I was getting worried that I am just a bad judge and should never hire anyone. He did come back though and worked and it is really looking nice. However, while talking to both my husband and myself  he had neglected to tell us that they grind and put on a coating that then takes a couple or more hours to dry then they go somewhere else and come back. When they come back they add the fleck that then needs to dry so they leave again.  This would not have been a problem on a Saturday. I also said had I known and taken a day off to let them in and out I would have been mad since he delayed the start so many times. He told me that he does it so much and they work at so many construction sites that they never have a problem getting into a place. I said, well we both work and just changed all our locks after having given the old keys to the drywall messy crew. Also, that what seems like “common sense” to him is not when you really haven’t done this type of floor before. 

Thank goodness it all seemed to have worked out. Our floor looks nice and now we can finally start to move boxes into the basement and out of our old house. 

3 thoughts on “OH THe frustration

1. Glad it worked out in the end! Sorry you had to deal with frustration along the way – that’s never easy during a long project.