My Hubby Day 8

Brian is my husband and since I haven’t talked about him yet I don’t want to leave him out. I mentioned before that I met Brian in college and I actually taught him how to eat fire when we met. He was actually at ISU for track since he still holds the record at Hinsdale South for the shot put.  During tryouts he decided to walk into the circus and that was the end of his track career. He of course was in the fire eating act since I was the act captain that year. He also did adagio , acro, and his favorite was teeterboard. We were just friends forever, but when I pointed him out to my parents during an exhibition before a football game, he went to blow fire and the wind changed and the fire went right into his face.  That definitely left an impression on my poor mom who still hated that I ate fire and now this boy had blown fire and it went right into his face. 

I first met Brian’s entire family when we had dated for just about a month and his brother got married in Peoria. Brian and I would eventually split up for a while, but always remained friends. It was 10 years after he had met my parents and I had met his family that Brian and I got married. 

Brian makes me laugh and would do anything in his power to make me happy, except move to Galesburg.  I am actually the one who had a job after we finished at ISU. I was teaching in Galesburg and he would come visit, but having grown up around here did not want to move. His excuse was that as an electrician he could have more jobs and make more money around here. My teacher friends at the time were hilarious because they were so excited for me to be marrying a Chicago electrician. Wow, was I going to be rich?  Well we aren’t rich and Brian shortly after Haley was born lost his job for a long time. Our plan had been for me to stay home with the kids. Now neither one of us had a job and were responsible for 3 kids. That was a super scary time. He ended up having to travel to Alton to help us keep our house. I subbed and tried to get jobs when I could. My mom even came here to help watch our kids. Now that the economy is better he is able to “go to the deli counter” as he says and pick up jobs fairly quickly. There are still months at a time he may not work but not years. It also is super helpful that I now have a full time teaching position. The last 3 years have been a huge relief for us as parents knowing we have a steady income. 

Brian and I enjoy being parents to our three amazing children. There are days we get frustrated with each other of course, but I think that for 10 years we were “just friends” and it helps us make it through whatever has come our way.  Our newest chapter is having my 21 year old niece move in with us, which Brian has been fully supportive of even though it has been a challenge for all. 

2 thoughts on “My Hubby Day 8

1. You both have faced what came your way with strength and love for each. There will always be ups and downs in life. How we face them depends on us. With best wishes.

2. You have had some rocky times and weathered them as a team. Hope there is smooth sailing ahead for you.